Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things that I don't know

For the past week, Shawn seems to love his books more dearly. We are very happy about it. I should think school teach him new words and he could read quite fluently, if not he's probably reciting from what he remembers :) The content of these books are repetitive and that probably helped him to recognize the words well.  Now I feel my investments are worth it hahaaa. These are the few books that Shawn could read almost 80% of are these and he usually chooses them from the shelves:
The Gruffalo (a book that never fail to amuse him)
Jack and the Beanstalk (his all time favorite even before he recognizes any words)
The Three Billy Goats Gruff (Shawns said they have something like that in school too)
Usborne Phonic Readers Pack (such cute illustrations.. I love it too)
Scholastic First Little Readers Pack A & B (we got this during Xmas 2years ago, finally he took interest to read them)

About reading in school, he said this tonight, "Babies' books have big big words, the bigger I grow the smaller the words in the book". I also  checked what books are they reading now in school, he said, "Care bears"

I have a hard time catching up with the Chinese words he learn in school. They were bombarding the kids with INSECTS in both Chinese and English, for almost a month. I only know 虫 chóng and nothing else... He can recognize the words and 'draws' them way better than me... mommie knows nuts
蚱蜢 zhà mĕng grasshopper
螳蜋 táng láng praying mantis
蜜蜂 mì fēng bee
瓢虫 piáo chóng ladybird
毛虫 máo chóng caterpillar
蜈蚣 wú gōng centipede
蜻蜓 qīng tíng dragonfly
黄蜂 huáng fēng wasp

In Shawn's own words :
Only big bees sting people, they chase bear and people and sting them. When they lose their sting they die. Small bees are good bees. They make honey.

We had this exchange a couple of weeks ago :
I read to Shawn tonight for about 10minutes or so, in between his regular TV time. So after that he watched tv and the usual stuff. After he got ready for bed, he insisted that he wanted to read books. So...

Mommie : But Shawn earlier I read to you
Shawn : No, I want to read books
Mommie : Yea, tomorrow then you read ok? Just now Mommie read to you
Shawn : Just now YOU read to me, now I read myself!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are a wonderful, loving mom. God less.